A monumental country in size and culture, many visitors focus on Moscow and St Petersburg, where there is no shortage of things to see and do. These cities are home to some of the world’s best museums, architecture, classical music and ballet.
Food and drink
It’s easy to find Russian food and drink at reasonable prices in both cities. For something on the go, street kiosks offer savoury buckwheat pancakes. Cheap cafés and restaurants serve borsch (beet and garlic soup), meat pies, dumplings and hearty stews. The variety of vodka and beer is unending, and many daytime coffee shops are wine bars at night.
Upmarket boutiques line the mall next to Moscow’s Red Square, while the capital’s Izmaylovo Market sells jewellery and fur hats. Tourists visit St Petersburg’s Raketa factory for a world-famous wristwatch and flock to the Souvenirs Market for matroyshka dolls and Soviet memorabilia.
Things to see and do
- Red Square - In Moscow, cross the cobblestones to gaze at the iconic 16th-century St Basil’s Cathedral and the embalmed body of Vladimir Lenin.
- State Hermitage Museum and Winter Palace - Beacons of Russia’s cultural capital, these six historic buildings in St Petersburg hold antiquities, armour, Russian artworks and the world’s largest collection of paintings.
- The Kremlin - Inside the walled fortress is The Armoury of national treasures, including an incredible diamond collection.
- Catherine Palace and Park - Extraordinary white and gold palace of ornate rooms surrounded by a 1,400-acre park, just outside St Petersburg.
- Tretyakov Gallery - Moscow’s national treasury of Russian fine art, with more than 130,000 paintings and sculpture.
- Visit a banya (Russian bathhouse) for a relaxing hot steam.
- Attend a classical-music concert in St Petersburg.
- Watch the world-renowned Russian ballet perform in Bolshoi Theatre.
- Skate in the shadow of the Kremlin on the ice rink in Red Square
Russia Blog posts
From the UK's most popular travel bloggers
12th January 2021 by PommieTravelsChernobyl Tours – An agonising holiday
Following the accident there in 1986, Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant, and the nearby city of Prypiat, were overpowered with deadly radiation. 56 people lost their lives from the incident, the predominant part in view of the effects of the radiation, and Prypiat was cleared 36 hours after the disaster. Even after the fundamental disaster, a significant part of those drew in with keeping up the domain have persevered through long stretch clinical issues in view of the proportion of radiation they...
12th February 2021 by AndyCheapest places to holiday in June
It’s time to celebrate when it’s June! Summer is here and a ‘staycation’, a trip to the Mediterranean or a city break means great weather, without the rush of August crowds. Best of all, you’ll miss the scorching heat of July, while being able to take advantage of fantastic deals across the globe. Pack your sunscreen, flip flops and favourite summer read – ready to hit the beach!Beach HolidaysJune brings some of the best weather conditions to Europe, however many popular resorts are...
4th August 2019 by The Wandering QuinnThe BEST places to travel to in Asia in July & August
July and August bring the Summer holidays for people in the Northern Hemisphere and whether you’re looking to go on a family holiday during the Summer holidays, you’re studying and only have the Summer off, or you want to get away from the heat and crowds in popular European holiday destinations, you may want to spend the Summer in Asia. However July and August generally bring the rain and monsoon season to many parts of Asia and if you’re like me this isn’t what you want from a trip!...
19th January 2021 by JohnDiscover the cheapest destinations in Europe for your next holiday
There’s no doubt about it, travel throughout Europe can be an expensive addition to your budget.Some of the world’s most famous destinations, including Italy, France and Spain, are absolutely fabulous, but can easily stretch the wallet on accommodation alone. But, never fear, the team at Simply Holiday Deals has come to the rescue, with a map of the cheapest destinations in Europe, based on the Europe Backpacker Index for 2015.Based on good quality hostels, the price of daily meals, drinks...
22nd February 2021 by AndyBest hostels in Europe
For travellers on a tight budget, hostels offer an incredibly affordable accommodation option when travelling around Europe. And even though most hostels can satisfy a basic traveller’s needs, if you’re looking for a top-quality experience then you need to check out this list of the 5 best hostels in Europe!Soul Kitchen St. Petersburg, Russia: Named the best hostel in Europe in the 2013 Hoscars, this small hostel is perfectly located in one of the most beautiful areas of Saint...