Fly Direct to Portland, Oregon with Delta
Voted the 8th most popular city in America, Portland is renowned for its street food, numerous micro-breweries and tax-free boutique shopping. It's one of the greenest in the world with a significantly high number of its population choosing to cycle or walk rather than drive. Participation in farm to table dining is also one of the highest in the world. The unofficial motto, and mantra for its inhabitants, "keep Portland weird", is a slogan to promote Portland businesses, but also encompasses individuality, expressionism and local art, as well as atypical lifestyle choices and leisure activities. Portland is becoming ever more popular with tourists, with some impressive new hotels opening in 2018.
For anyone thinking of booking a trip, here are some great things to see and do in the city:
- Washington Park - has miles of trails, an International Rose Test Garden with over 10,000 rose bushes of more than 650 varieties, a zoo, and Japanese Garden "the most authentic outside of Japan". A new Cultural Village was opened here in 2017.
- Brewery bike tour - a novel way of seeing the city, experiencing its many micro-breweries and getting slightly more tipsy with each pedal of the way!
- one of the largest urban forest reserves in the United States, stretching for 8 miles and covering more than 5000 acres.
- Tom McCall Waterfront Park - located on one side of the Willamette River and named after the Oregon Governor, a staunch advocate of recycling, environmental preservation and urban planning. A great place for picnics, jogging and chilling, there's also a fountain whose water patterns change with the city’s mood. The very best time to visit is in spring when all the Park's cherry blossom trees are in stunning full bloom.
- Oregon Historical Society Museum - just the idea of visiting this museum to witness the Portland Penny, the coin that decided Portland's name on a best-of-three coin toss (ahead of 'Boston'), brings back familiar memories from the tv series 'Parks & Recreation'. The Museum, opened in 1898, contains many thousands of artefacts relating to the history of the local area.
A half hour drive or tour out of the city will bring you to the spectacular Multnomah Falls in the Columbia River Gorge. Recognisable to fans of the 'Twilight' films and 'Grimm' tv series, the magnificent 611-foot cascade drops in two major steps with the Benson Bridge spanning the first tier's misty base. According to Native American lore, Multnomah Falls was created to win the heart of a young princess who wanted a hidden place to bathe.
Oregon Coast day trips from the city allow visitors to witness many of the state's natural splendours. With Cannon Beach, Haystack Rock and a breathtaking 30-mile view from Neahkahnie Point as highlights, the tour takes in cliffs, beaches, lighthouses and forests.
Similar blog posts
From the UK's most popular travel bloggers
21st April 2021 by Hand Luggage Only10 very best things to do in Rhode Island
Small and totally mighty, Rhode Island is one of the gorgeous spots on the east coast that’s totally amazing to explore! From picturesque bays, historic towns and museums galore, there’s a heap of the best things to do in Rhode Island dotted all across the state. We totally loved our trip to Rhode Island, especially Providence that is so lovely to visit. That being said, there’s no need to just confine yourself to one state whilst in the region. Whilst here, we tagged on a trip around...
22nd April 2021 by Hand Luggage Only12 best things to do in New Jersey
Perched just off the Hudson River, New Jersey is a state that’s sometimes bypassed in lieu of visiting its big sister; New York. That being said, there’s a heap of the best things to do in New Jersey that you really should explore. From historic boardwalks, iconic university towns to windswept shores – New Jersey has a little something for everyone! Plus, it’s a great state to visit as you head further south on a roadtrip around the best spots on the east coast....
14th April 2021 by Hand Luggage Only10 Very Best Places In Texas To Visit
One of the largest states in the US, Texas is totally vast and totally epic to explore. With heaps of cities, national parks and coastal retreats, it’s the kind of state that’s got a little something for every type of traveller. Plus, you won’t be lost for things to do with all the best places in Texas dotted all across the state. You’re going to be spoilt for choice! ...
13th April 2021 by PommieTravelsThe road less travelled: Must-have adventures in Tennessee
If you wish to take the road less traveled, Tennessee will take you far from the maddening crowd. You can feast your eyes on postcard-perfect scenery and explore natural playgrounds for thrilling escapades and adventures. It is the ultimate US state to experience the unfiltered and unadulterated beauty of the great outdoors....
13th April 2021 by Hand Luggage Only9 very best things to do in Oakland
Huddled on the Bay Area, near San Francisco, Oakland is sometimes bypassed in lieu of its popular neighbours. Though, don’t let that sway you, there’s a heap of the best things to do in Oakland that’s well worth a gander. Even more, it’s a great city to include as part of a wider Californian road trip....
1st April 2021 by Hand Luggage Only9 very best things to do in Sacramento
Nestled around 90-miles from San Francisco, Sacramento is California’s capital and a great place to visit. From historical to world-class museums, there’s a heap of epic spots and the best things to do in Sacramento that’ll fill up your trip to the city. Now, from an “across the pond” perspective, you might not visit Sacramento on a stand-alone trip. Though don’t get it confused, that doesn’t mean it’s not worth visiting… far from!...
26th March 2021 by Hand Luggage Only10 best things to do in San Jose, California
Just shy of the bustling city of San Francisco and Monterey, San Jose is really easy to visit whilst exploring the bay area. Not only that, there’s a shed load of the best things to do in San Jose dotted all across the city that makes it a gem to visit. From, centuries of history to explore, epic trails and museums galore, it’s a perfect stopping point along a wider Californian road trip. ...