Fancy a Eurovision-inspired holiday?
"My, my" (don't worry, I'll avoid the full ABBA rendition)
Eurovision is upon us!
Yep, it's that time of year again - signs that summer is on its way, and the opportunity to throw open your doors and invite people over for barbecues and celebratory Eurovision parties. In true British style, it often tends to be more about the party than the music, but that's ok...what better excuse to get together and laugh at strange songs, questionable costumes, mad presenters and iffy voting practices?
Eurovision is so uncool that it's inadvertently become cool - and developed a unique life and following all of its own.
Fancy a Eurovision-inspired holiday?
All this week we're celebrating the Eurovision Song Contest by showcasing some of our best European (and Australian 🤔) travel deals.
As sad as it is to admit, we've also been listening to the Eurovision 2018 soundtrack in the office on repeat - and it's actually pretty good - there are quite a few annoyingly catchy tracks! So, we've been combining our favourite songs in this year's contest with our best deals to each nation.
Here's a run-down of my top five (plus a couple):
1) Finland 🇫🇮 Eurovision entry: Saara Aalto: MonstersFinland travel deal - Unforgettable Lapland break with magical excursions, Hotel Sirkantähti - save 10% - 7 nights from from £999pp.
Why I love it: snowshoeing through the forest, a snowmobile ride, visit to a SnowVillage, and a chance to witness the spectacular Northern Lights. Plus, a cosy hotel deep within the Arctic Circle. This has bucket-list ticks all over it!
2) Italy 🇮🇹 Eurovision entry: Ermal Meta & Fabrizio Moro: Non Mi Avete Fatto Niente
Italy travel deal - Elegant Rome, Florence & Venice city-hop: Palladium Palace Hotel, Atlantic Palace Hotel & Hotel Giorgione, Italy - save 38% - 3 nights from £299pp.
Why I love it: Italy is one of those places with a special light that gives everything a uniquely warm, fuzzy glow. It possesses a wonderful relaxed vibe and oozes style and culture. This trip looks perfect, and seems to include enough major beautiful cities to feel like you've really seen some of the best of Italy.
3) Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Eurovision entry: Mikolas Josef: Lie To Me
Prague travel deal - Stunning Prague, Czech Republic - 5* The Grand Mark Prague: grand deluxe suite - inc welcome drink, breakfast, a 2-course dinner & flights - 2 nights from £240pp.
Why I love it: the hotel is a former 16th Century Baroque palace right in the heart of the city. Prague is like a fairytale destination, full of history, beauty, and majestic architecture.
4) Cyprus 🇨🇾 Eurovision entry: Eleni Foureira: Fuego
Cyprus travel deal - North Cyprus beach holiday - save 15% - 7 nights from £699pp
Why I love it: This is a new and exclusive hotel situated in some of the best scenery on one of the most beautiful coastlines of Cyprus. Includes a balcony room, food, lovely sandy beach, water slides, and a free tour of Nicosia, Cyprus's capital.
5) France 🇫🇷 Eurovision entry: Madame Monsieur: Mercy
Marseille travel deal - France Marseille - 4* Golden Tulip Marseille Euromed - inc breakfast - save 80% - 2 nights from £144pp
Why I love it: A uniquely designed hotel near the seafront in the Old Port. This deal includes a welcome cocktail, seaside view room, breakfast and free access to all the sports facilities, including fitness centre and swimming pool. On top of all that, Marseille is a charming city with that special "South of France glow", mild weather and fascinating architecture.
Three more I should mention:
- Host nation, Portugal 🇵🇹 Cláudia Pascoal: O Jardim - there are loads of Portugal deals around at the moment. This year's contest is taking place in Lisbon, and we have a fab Lisbon deal. It's a beautiful city - plenty of narrow lanes and backstreets to amble along, impressive architecture, and refreshingly multicultural with some great bars.
- No-one is really sure why they take part in Eurovision, but for that very reason they're always worth a look: Australia 🇦🇺 Jessica Mauboy: We Got Love - I don't even need to say why any trip to Oz would be fab. But we currently have an outstanding-looking NYE break in Sydney, with an optional stay in Cairns. You could be one of the first in the world to see in 2019 in an exceptional wow-factor way.
- I couldn't not mention the United Kingdom 🇬🇧 SuRie: Storm - a great song in its own right, and one of the best UK Eurovision entries in recent years 🤞🏼 We're currently offering an awesome, very British London Islington hotel stay with breakfast - includes a Thames river cruise and tickets to the Warner Brothers: Making of Harry Potter Studio Tour. Alohomora!
So many great deals, I only hope you don't have any trouble making your mind up over them! Congratulations to anyone who books one - you'll love it. Just Save your kisses for me when you get back!
Ok, that's enough Eurovision puns for anyone.
Share with your friends
- A day trip to Florence
- Visiting Murano and Burano Islands, Venice
- Five days in Singapore
- Chatham Maritime Food & Drink Festival, Kent
- Five fab things to see in San Francisco
- Top 7 things to do in Lucca, Italy
- Six destinations to consider for family beach holiday
- Six places to eat and drink in Budapest