Win a 5* short break to Brittany
I'm a big fan of the Wanderlust website, and I also love their frequent and varied travel competitions. For their latest one they've teamed up with Brittany Tourism to offer the chance to win a three-night 5* stay in Brittany. It's for two people travelling by car, so there's a bit of effort involved on the winner's behalf, but it still looks like a good prize. And, as ever with Wanderlust, it comes with a few nice added extras.
Here's what the team at Wanderlust say about Brittany:
Brittany may just be a small leap across the English Channel, but with a roll call of epic coastlines, medieval towns and emerald forests, it’s firmly a land for explorers. Many of those who visit make a beeline for its rugged fringes. Brittany boasts nearly 3,000km of coastline, and the chic resort of Dinard is one of the star attractions. Its sandy strips and cliff-hugging Belle Epóque mansions (more than 400 of them) paint an idyllic scene, one first adopted by the visiting British aristocracy in the late 1800s.
Today, it is the getaway of choice for both casual travellers and Parisian urbanites seeking calmer climes, with its tree-flanked boulevards and airy squares pocked with elegant restaurants and crepêries. The pleasant Promenade du Clair de Lune offers snaking access to the town’s shores, while a glimpse back reveals the fi ne Edwardian influence Dinard’s facades still retain.
Some of Brittany’s most charming sites lie in the walled citadels that once protected the state’s borders from any attacks, long before they joined forces with the French in 1532. Jutting out on a spectacular natural harbour, Saint-Malo is one of the finest fortified towns here, its twisting medieval streets slick with tales of dastardly pirates and chock-full with quaint boutiques.
A wander along its 12th-century ramparts is a pure joy for its views of the islands and forts that speckle the harbour. They also connect two of the town’s fi nest buildings, its castle and cathedral. A museum adjoining the castle charts Saint-Malo’s past, ranging from Neolithic monuments to the lives of some of its most famous residents, including former explorer Jacques Cartier and romantic novelist Francois- René de Chateaubriand.
Inland, Dinan is another medieval marvel. Its Old Town is a warren of cobbled lanes, with the cream being Rue du Petit-Fort, a steep postcard-worthy curve of half-timbered buildings that links the River Rance below with the Old Town proper. Descend past trinket-laden galleries to the quaint quayside at the bottom of the cobbles, where old stone houses have been transformed into bustling restaurants and sailing clothes and accessories shops. Its sturdy ramparts and towers are another thrill, especially the views you can spy from the 40m-high Tour de l’Horloge.
On a good day, you can see as far as Mont Saint-Michel. Finish among the bars that line Rue de la Cordonnerie, aptly nicknamed the ‘thirsty street’, as you reflect upon a destination that almost appears as if time has stood still since the 15th century.
What do you win?
- 3 nights B&B at the 5* Castelbrac Hotel for two people in a double bedroom
- Return ferry crossings with Brittany Ferries
- Guided tour of St-Malo old town
- A gourmet sailing trip in Cancale Bay
- A SUP Yoga session on the beach
How to enter:
- Click the red button link at the top of this page to take you to the competition page
- You have to sign into your account, or register with Wanderlust if you don't already have one . Then all your details should already be pre-filled.
- Answer the question (hint: the answer is: (c) Rennes)
- Check the terms & conditions
- Click to submit your entry
Competition closes: 5th September 2018
Share this competition with your friends
Join our Facebook Group
Similar travel competitions
- Win a holiday for two to Thuringia, Germany
- Win flights for two to Geneva or Zurich with SWISS
- Win a trip for two to Los Angeles + campervan hire
- New Win a Disneyland Paris break for 4 & experience Legends of the Force
- Win tickets to Kinky Boots & an overnight London stay
- Win a holiday to Hard Rock Hotel Tenerife
- Win a ski trip for two to Chamonix
- New Win £1,000 of TUI vouchers
- New Win a trip for two to Copenhagen
- Win a musical trip to Tuscany to see Andrea Bocelli perform live